Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How did I get in this nutshell?

I finally found both the camera/computer cord and the time to write. Horray!

OK, so here's everything in a nutshell.

We're going to London! More on that in a later post.
Catch Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Doogie Houser sings, and so does Captian Tight Pants (scroll for the photo). Absolutly wonderful. It starts a bit slow, but hang in there. It's worth it. The song "Laundry Day" is so heart-breakingly sweet. You can watch it for free at the link or download it on iTunes.


I went to some great fiction writing workshops at Conestoga. It was really helpful, particulary the lessons led by Shanna Swendson and Deborah LeBlanc. I've been a fan of Shanna's Enchanted Inc series and now I'm reading Deborah's "A House Divided." Check them out.



The newset addition to our home, KnottyKittyJunior is fitting in quite nicely. He and KnottyKitty are now inseperable. This was not always the case, as you can see from this photo which I have entitled: Waiting for New Sheets or If I Ignore You, You Will Go Away.



And since several people have asked about the house, here's a nutshell recap:






We bought our first house. That's MrKnotty, me and our Realtor on closing day. The house was built in 1929 and in need of some refurbishment. The first night, MrKnotty and I had pizza and champagne for dinner and slept on the floor in sleeping bags in order to officially be in our new house before KnottyBrother could move into his new house (ha, beat you!)




The next day, we started refinishing the hardwood floors. We have decided it is our mission in life to warn others not to do the same.
In the end, I think we threw away four bags of our floor. And had severe rashes. And crabby temperments.
Then the staining and coating (I believe you've heard that story).


Then painting.

And painting. And painting.






Somewhere in there, we had a storm. MrKnotty's hobby of climbing trees with saws continued, with me on the speed dial for the ER. Luckily, we had no trip to the doctor. This time. (MrKnotty's slogan: "Ask me about my scars!")



Then the organization began -- starting with a pot-lid rack in the kitchen (which, oddly enough was located NO WHERE in the state. I had to order one from the Container Store. Why? I have no idea. I got a deer-in-the-headlights look from every kitchen-supply-store employee I asked.). The most recent work was hanging the shelves to hold my yarn jars. Pictured here in-progress with the assistance of KnottyKittyJunior.
You may recall the previous color pallette: Baby Poop Yellow (living room and hallway), Insane Asylum Creepy Dirty White (office and guest room), and my favorite, Silly Puddy Pink (kitchen walls and ceiling -- oh, yes, the ceiling too).

Here's the living room now.


And here's the dining room. We recovered the chairs this weekend.

And the kitchen. You'll notice that not only is it white with cabinets which match one another, but we installed new lighting (I heart my potrack/light combo).

The kitchen shelves have been cute-ified as well. Thanks to Colorcrazed who suggested the red on the shelves.

Hallway, complete with cats.



And the office. Please notice the shelves with ginormous jars of yarn. There's another one just like it on the facing wall. In the bottom right, you'll notice my Amy Butler Knitting bag. Que retro, no?

We still have quite a lot to do. The bedrooms, bathrooms and pantry need to be painted and we have furniture and wall decorations to buy (I almost wrote "wall decor," but it sounded too Pier One.) and the yard to tackle, but I think we've come a long way in a short time. We start on the guest bedroom this weekend.


I just spotted a squirrell digging in my peppers. Have to run. Bad squirrell!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh...so I see....

Anonymous said...

Excuse me. Where is the I heart doodie picture?

Maria said...

Love your house!! Very beautiful!!
My cats (Tiger and Lilly) say hi to your cats. :-)
I'm so glad you were at BA. Can't wait for our lunch.
Marie

Anonymous said...

Love it! You guys have done a terrific job. Kitty Jr is adorable.
GinaY

Logan said...

Very nice! Sounds like you're having a good time, too. Congrats!

Logan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.