Thursday, May 15, 2008

My bootie -- and berries

I went to Gene's Baby Bootie class at Loops last week. It was his first official Loops class (yay, Gene!) and he did a great job. These little stinkers are so easy. And so cute!

The buttons are functional and Gene has a lot of examples of really cute color combos with whimsical buttons. This is the same pattern that he used to make these.

You can get the free pattern here. Gene had some variations on it for row 25, but it's a really easy pattern to follow once you just sit down with the needles and do what it says. You know what I mean? How some patterns look complicated until you just start knitting and you get that ohhhhhhh, that's what they meant moment?

Now for the berries: MrKnotty came home with two pounds of strawberries for me last week. He's sweet that way. So for our Friday night dessert, I made KnottyLady Strawberry Tart. I had to wing it, because all of my cookbooks are in boxes, but I think it turned out great.

KnottyLady Strawberry Tart
1 pre-made pie crust
1 package of cream cheese
1 can sweetented condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pint strawberries
handful of mint leaves (optional)
drizzle of honey

Bake the pie crust, following the directions and then let it cool (I put mine in a tart pan -- that's why the sides are fluted). Combine the cream cheese, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until it's as smooth as you can get it. Pour it into the pie crust and let it set. Wash the mint leaves and dry them with a paper towel. Set them on top of the filling. Wash and slice the strawberries. Set them on top of the pie. Drizzle with honey. Try not to gorge yourself.

You could make two pies using the filling -- it's very rich. But if you like that kind of thing, go for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mouth watering. must make soon. may not share with anyone.

Sushi said...

Ooh. I made a variant version last night--I added frozen raspberries to the filling and poured it in a graham cracker crust. I've been picking at the extra filling all day. It's AWESOME. I froze the pie, so we'll see how it acts as a frozen cheesecake, but I'll be making this again. Thanks!